Kate's Reviews > The Tomb of Agamemnon

The Tomb of Agamemnon by Cathy Gere

Mar 22, 11

bookshelves: art-history
Read from October 11, 2010 to March 22, 2011

I love this series of books headed up by the one and only Mary Beard. I started with the one on the Parthenon as part of my senior art history thesis in college and found it a valuable resource as well as an entertaining and witty read....an almost impossible combination in the field.

I enjoyed it so much that I decided to read this one after all these years and was not disappointed. Whether it be the Parthenon, Mycenea, the Alhambra, or Westminster Abbey, this series takes 200 pages or so to dish out the entire chronological history site by site and also touching upon its cultural relevance, archeological significance, and socio-political meanings in an intelligent, scholarly, but brilliantly witty way.

I highly recommend this book and the rest in the series as a must-read for historians, archaeologists, and art historians, but also as a wonderful gateway book for those visiting the sites and wanting to explore more than just the top-layer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tomb of Agamemnon.

10/11/2010 page 21