Faran's Reviews > The Histories

The Histories by Herodotus

U_50x66
Mar 03, 09

bookshelves: historical-fiction-ancient

This gets 0 stars, but I gave it a single star to avoid misunderstanding, as some might think I simply forgot to rate it.

It also goes in my ancient historical fiction section because it is fiction.

I don't care about the historical significance of the work, the despicable coward who wrote this propaganda was being an aggrandized self-indulger, and a liar.

That people still believe this nonsense is astounding. Never else in history have thousands of men been able to slaughter millions similarly armed, yet amateur historians today believe it happened in Greece 2500 years ago because Herodotus said so.

Rome's Empire, which had a much larger population than Achaemenid Persia, was never able to muster an army even a small fraction of the size of the Persian armies Herodotus describes. Indeed, it would have been impossible to transport and sustain such an army. Nobody else in antiquity managed it, yet people today believe that the Persian kings did, and lost to the Greeks in battle despite this, because Herodotus wrote it. They actually believe that the largest armies EVER assembled came from an empire that existed when the human population of the planet was around 100 million.

The actuality is that the pan-Aegean wars that occurred 2500 years ago the Persians lost certain battles to the Greeks and won certain battles against them, with the odds far more even than Herodotus would have us think. The Persians achieved their imperial glory through incredible feats of political and military prowess, not by commanding human hordes of unskilled girly-man fighters in war.

Herodotus of Hallicarnassus was nothing more than a rabble-rousing, slanderous scandal maker and he can suck my hairy Persian apparatus (and I'm sure, being an ancient Greek, he would love to ^_^ ).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Histories.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Christopher Payne People don't believe the accounts simply because Herodotus wrote it. Surley you realize others wrote similar accounts like Thucydides... plus there is loads of archaeological evidence supporting the accounts. Most historians agree the numbers are bogus but the account is mostly real

message 2: by Josh (new) - added it

Josh Brown Why doesn't its historical significance matter?

Frank Landymore iv I wonder if the review even read the book, let alone understand history.