Megan (Megan Likes Books)'s Reviews > The 13th Sign

The 13th Sign by Kristin O'Donnell Tubb

Dec 31, 12

Read from December 22 to 29, 2012

The 13th Sign starts off with an interesting concept. What if everyone's personality shifted? Would it be chaos? Political leaders suddenly indecisive? Surgeons suddenly squeamish?

However, the 13th Sign fell a bit flat for me. While there was quite a bit of action and Tubb spelled out the lessons in the book pretty explicitly, it lacked the spark that makes a book great.

I'm fairly indifferent towards the main character, Jalen. There was nothing in particular that I disliked about her, but I just didn't feel a very strong connection with her. My favourite thing about her is how much she loves her Nina (which means Grandma). I appreciated the emphasis put on the importance of family, especially since family is so important in my own life.

Middle grade readers will enjoy all the action in this one, as Jalen and her friends Ellie and Brennan battle the 12 signs of the zodiac. The last few battles felt a bit rushed compared to the first ones, but they were still fun to read about.

I'd recommend this one to anyone who loves astrology and wants an adventure inspired by the signs of the zodiac.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 13th Sign.

12/22/2012 page 10
3.0% ""Don't start with the sick-grandma stuff. I don't want to hear it." Seriously, who says stuff like that? Jerk-face."
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jenni Arndt I just finished this one today too! We had some of the same issues, the battles at the beginning felt epic and then they got too simple and rushed.

Megan (Megan Likes Books) The last few were definitely rushed. I can't wait to resd what you thought.

Jenni Arndt The Aquarius one? UGH!