Nick's Reviews > Wizard and Glass

Wizard and Glass by Stephen King

Mar 28, 09

bookshelves: westward-ho, trashy-genius
Read in March, 2009

This prequel narrates more of Roland's youth, and partakes more of the Western genre than any of the others in the series I've read so far (even more than the gunslinger). It's a cross between Lonesome Dove and The Once and Future King, with knights carrying massive six-shooters and wearing serapes. It gets a little randy at times, which got frustrating--though the sex was not necessarily gratuitous and seemed to serve the story well. Certainly not a morality play. King really is coming into his own as a storyteller in this volume, I think, and I enjoyed the improvements in his writing and the deft use of fictional dialect and custom to give the reader a sense of looking in on a truly different world that nonetheless partakes of our own, imbuing it with the mysterious even as it reveals itself as familiar.

The weakest illustrations thus far--they remind me of the "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" guy but without adding much in the way of artistic interpretation. Just kind of ugly and creepy.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wizard and Glass.