Teena in Toronto's Reviews > Hating Heidi Foster

Hating Heidi Foster by Jeffrey Blount

Dec 18, 12

Read on December 18, 2012

When the story begins, fourteen-year-old Mae McBride's father has just died in a fire saving Mae's best friend, Heidi. As such, Mae can't help but feel anger and hatred towards Heidi. In Mae's mind, it's Heidi's fault that her father is dead ... her father died choosing Heidi over his wife and daughter.

At school, everyone seems to be concerned about Heidi and taking her side. This angers Mae even more so she turns her back on all her friends and becomes "the Tragic One". The only ones she feels she can turn to is her mother, her paternal grandparents and her maternal grandparents. She consoles herself watching old family videos. It's in one of these videos that she gets a message from her Dad that will shift her way of thinking.

This is a quick read (just 105 pages). Though it's considered a young adult novel, I enjoyed it. I liked the writing style and didn't find it too immature for me. It was well-paced and kept me wanting to read more. I liked the characters and could feel their struggle in dealing with Eddie's death in their own way.

I'd recommend it. I think young adults and older will find it interesting.

Blog review post: http://www.teenaintoronto.com/2012/12...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hating Heidi Foster.