Julia's Reviews > Everyday Life in Early America

Everyday Life in Early America by David Freeman Hawke

Mar 16, 09

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in March, 2009

I loved the first person stories in this book during the time period. Somethings are funny no matter what century you live in! The book was very thorough, covering all aspects of colonial live from trees, to the moon, to childrearing. However, the book was short (under 200 pages) and covered a lot of subjects, consequently each subject is short. Maybe there isn't a lot of material on the time period so each subject has to be short, I don't know. I liked learning about early America, not just furniture and buildings but people and their daily lives. The only reason I gave this book 4 stars instead of 5 was because it was published in 1988 and there has probably been new discoveries since then.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everyday Life in Early America.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cait (new)

Cait I can vouch for the fact that there have been a lot of developments since then but also, there's a WEALTH of info on life in early America (and there has been for awhile - my program was started in the '50s and called the Winterthur Program in Early American Culture), so the grad student in me questions this guy's scholarship - based on what you say about length - he probably didn't dig very deep. If you want more books on stuff like this, let me know - I can get my hands on bibliographies :)

Julia Thanks, I have another book on New England ecology and then some other books that I want to finish before I start buying more. Maybe once I move to Alaska I'll take you up on your offer :)