Felicity's Reviews > The House of Mirth

The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton

Mar 02, 2009

Read in March, 2009

Oh Lily, Oh Lily, what could you do? When I first read this book over a decade ago, I was so angry at Lily Bart. What a fool for failing to choose the "right" man, even if that man had been the detestable Percy Gryce. He would have been the solution to all her problems. And what a fool for getting herself into all these awkward situations...Lily Bart was a victim of misfortunes of her own making, not of anyone else's.

But ten years later, and with a little more wisdom of my own, I wept and wept for poor Lily Bart. Tragically (I say, with a quick glance to my own bank balance), I empathize with her desire for beautiful things, for unaffordable material things, for essentially useless things of elegance and beauty. And, more importantly, I empathize with her fierce desire for independence. For me, the world is a different place, and I have that choice. But, Lily Bart, alas, did not. I even sense that Gerty Farish--the sole independent female figure in the novel--might have given it all up if someone had shown any interest in her. Gerty's independence was born of necessity, and some luck--a small income of her own. But Lily really had no choices, and that made the finale to this novel so much more heartwrenching than when I first read it ten years ago.

And I do love Wharton's exquisite use of language. It's quite delicate and delightful, much like Lily herself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House of Mirth.