Sherry's Reviews > The Weight of Water

The Weight of Water by Anita Shreve

Aug 20, 07

bookshelves: 2006-2010
Read in April, 2007

22. "On a small island off the New Hampshire coast in 1873, two women were brutally murdered by an unknown assailant. A third woman survived the attack, hiding in a sea cave until dawn. More than a century later, a photographer, Jean, comes to the island to shoot a photo-essay about the legendary crime. Immersing herself in accounts of the lives of the fishermen's wives who were its victims, she becomes obsessed with the barrenness of these women's days: the ardor-killing labor, the long stretches of loneliness, the maddening relentless winds that threatened to scour them off the rocky island. How could a marriage survive those privations? Was this misery connected to the killings? Jean's marriage is enduring heavy weather of its own. On the boat she has chartered for this project, she and her husband are falling apart. Their nights are full of drink and terrible silences, and Jean feels jealousy and distrust invading her life and her work. The forces that blasted the island a century earlier come alive inside Jean, bringing her to the verge of actions she never dreamed herself capable of - with no idea whether her choices will destroy all she has ever valued or bring her safely home."

I found this book hard to read, it jumps suddenly from first person story in the present day to telling the story of two women who were murdered in the 1800's. I didn't think there was anything remarkable about this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weight of Water.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Debbie I totally agree with this review. This book is boring. I'm ready to put it down and read something else.

Sherry Put it down. You won't regret it.

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Thanks that's exactly what I needed to hear. I needed a nudge.

message 2: by dreamer (last edited Aug 01, 2013 11:45AM) (new)

dreamer I was with this book for more than a week..
i am going to put it down too

message 1: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Good idea.