Claire S's Reviews > Subject To Change

Subject To Change by Matthew Thorburn

Mar 02, 09

bookshelves: to-read, a-4-gathering-info, fiction, form_complexia, meaning-life-etc, language, on-writing, synthesis, obama-term-1
Recommended to Claire by: GR reviews.

from that blog:

Did anyone else catch a faint echo of Shakespeare's St. Crispen's Day speech in the closing of President Obama's speech last night?

Henry V:

This day is call'd the feast of Crispian.
He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam'd,
And rouse him at the name of Crispian.
He that shall live this day, and see old age,
Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
And say 'To-morrow is Saint Crispian.'
Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
And say 'These wounds I had on Crispian's day.'
Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
But he'll remember, with advantages,
What feats he did that day. Then shall our names,
Familiar in his mouth as household words-
Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;

Obama:

And if we do - if we come together and lift this nation from the depths of this crisis; if we put our people back to work and restart the engine of our prosperity; if we confront without fear the challenges of our time and summon that enduring spirit of an America that does not quit, then someday years from now our children can tell their children that this was the time when we performed, in the words that are carved into this very chamber, "something worthy to be remembered."

***

It's just a slight echo, but it made me enjoy the speech even more -- a third smile, following one at Obama's greeting to the First Lady, and another at Biden's big grin at the "No one messes with Joe" line.

///////////////////////////////////

Ok, I'm a fan!

And actually, I vaguely would like to try and say that I was --slightly-- aware of that as well. I've seen that speech in 'Renaissance Man' (ok, hokey movie, sure, but still kinda great) and I was listening and synapsis were clicking on some level. I'm grateful to him for making the connection distinctly.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Subject To Change.