Amanda's Reviews > Promises to Keep

Promises to Keep by Charles de Lint

Mar 12, 09

bookshelves: 2009, fantasy-and-some-sci-fi
Recommended to Amanda by: I'm a de Lint junkie.
Read in March, 2009, read count: 1

I spent a great deal of time being angry at Mr. de Lint for introducing me to a Jilly that's completely wrong. And while I'm still miffed at him for jilting me, I'll forgive and forget for long enough to dive into the city of Mireya. A mysterious fantasyland in the afterlife, Mireya is the place where milk and honey flow. It's a place where you get what you deserve and all the sweetness of life rains down on you. But does Jilly really, I mean REALLY, want to stay???

Duh. Of course not. After all, there are volumes about her life in later years knowing she's alive and well in Newford. And that's the thing that makes this book kinda dull. You already know the ending. However... The story is interesting enough, and if nothing else, it's neat to learn more about Kathryn's--I had no idea they served booze and had comfy couches!!! I wanna work there with Wendy and Jilly. Anyway, I'm just rambling now. There's really not much else to say. The book is fine but not fab. Newford lovers, don't get your hopes up. Everyone else, this book is a lovely piece of stand-alone urban fantasy, and it's short enough to zip through if this genre is one you've been wating to explore.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Promises to Keep.

03/03/2009 "Damnit to hell. I forgot to bring my book home."
03/08/2009 page 110
63.58% "This isn't Jilly's voice, Mr. de Lint. You're doing it wrong."

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I started The Onion Girl a while ago but haven't finished, and have a few of the other Newford books on my shelf. Would you recommend reading this one before the Newford books, or just skip it altogether?

Amanda I love The Onion Girl with all the passion a de Lint reader should. So I'm biased. If you want to explore the entire body of his work, I'd say definitely read Promises before you read some of the others (my philosophy is "save the best for last"). But if you're just in it for one or two of his books, skip Promises and head straight for TOG.

What others do you have, Misha?

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 10, 2009 11:20AM) (new)

On my to-read shelf:

Forests of the Heart
Spirits in the Wires
Yarrow
Tapping the Dream Tree

I've also been on the lookout for a used copy of Widdershins

I really like deLint's prose, the way he plays with fantasy in the modern, contemporary world, and the way he writes women. The only reason I never finished The Onion Girl is that at the time I started reading, I was recovering from a bad unrequited love thing, and kept getting hung up on the passages about how Jilly and Geordie should have been together, but he ended up with someone else. I just couldn't get past those sections at the time. I'm much better now. :)

But clearly, I'm expecting that I'll love deLint's work passionately once I actually start reading it.

Amanda Yeah, that Jilly and Geordie thing was freaking miserable. UGH!

Anyway, you have some good ones on your list! Loved Yarrow (but if you're plagued by nightmares, DON'T read it). Spirits in the Wires was OK. And for the life of me, I can't remember FOTH or TTDT very well.

Keep me posted if you read more of his stuff. I've been disappointed in what I've read recently, but before that, I have almost nothing but rave reviews!!! He's my Danielle Steele... :) Guilty guilty pleasure and I ain't ashamed!