Suzanna's Reviews > Peony in Love

Peony in Love by Lisa See

Jun 21, 09

Recommended for: Gwenette
Read in June, 2009

This is a rare one for me, in the sense that I rarely enjoy a romance novel. But I did love this book!

There are three sections to this book, and I have to say, I was very disappointed at the end of the first section. I started the book very interested, but as I drew close to the end of that section, found it sappy and predictable. I nearly put it away; I am SO glad that I continued reading. And in retrospect, "sappy" is perhaps what the author wanted at that point, since it is about the passions of a fifteen-year-old girl. I recall being similarly foolish at that age.

What follows in the next two sections were highly entertaining for me. Bordering on fantasy, the imagery and drama of the remainder of the work were enlightening and enthralling. And as the leading character matures, so do her ideas. A big bonus for me, I always enjoy learning about other cultures, and this book is packed with interesting information in that regard. The book remains a love story throughout, and it ventures into loves besides romantic love, such as that between mother and daughter.

Whether you want to learn more about Chinese culture, are seeking a good love story, or just enjoy a fun tale, Peony in Love is a great choice.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Peony in Love.