Tricia's Reviews > The Westing Game

The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

Mar 02, 2009

it was ok
Read in March, 2009

This book sounded like it would be lots of fun, and I read it hoping for a great mystery. In the end I think there were too many characters, and not enough information to make any of them seem real to me. I never really got why they were who they were, except on the most basic level. Each character was just glossed over, and even though they were described in a basic way, there was nothing to really draw me in or make me care about them.
58 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Westing Game.

02/20 marked as: read

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara uh oh

Jillian McAdams I'm currently reading it and I feel the same way.

Tricia Miss McAdams wrote: "I'm currently reading it and I feel the same way."

You might want to read it really quickly. I read it for book club, and the people who liked it said that they read it really fast, and didn't try to figure out where it was going or why.

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim I completely agree. I read this in hopes of recommending it to the young adults at my library. I was very disappointed. This book could have been a lot better if the author had introduced fewer characters and fleshed them out.

Lizzy Probably the reason the characters are not described in a lot of detail is because it was a book written for children. I read it the first time when I was 8 years old and loved it because it was so fast paced and I didn't really care about the characters beyond the children. I still love this book because I read it at that age.
I can definitely see why it wouldn't appeal to adults that didn't read it as a child because of the reasons you gave.

Stacey I thought this books was thought provoking and wonderful. It sounds like you guys that didn't like the book, didn't like it because you didn't understand it.

Amanda I first read this book in 6th or 7th grade. Our reading teacher had us make up index cards for each character. Every time we learned a new fact or clue about a character, we added it to their card.

Audrey ~ EXO-L I liked the book! It was read pretty fast by my teacher, so I didn't understand too much. But it got easier as my class got to the end. I mean, it was awesome!!

Wildbird This book.. What was the point really? I feel really upset with how it ended because there was no meaning to have "The Westing Game". Why couldn't he just give the money to Turtle and have it over with?

message 10: by Karli (new) - rated it 1 star

Karli Exactly!

message 11: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Same

Julie Cribb I think you are missing a big part of the story. The character changed and developed throughout the entire novel. They helped each other to become a better person. His master plan was to create a "family" and he did that.

Heather Westbrook I have no idea how you couldn't like it . It was supposed to be about a lot of characters. It was an apartment complex of people. Definitely missed the point.

message 14: by Joy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joy Gamerhood I am living the book so far!!! I would rate five stars but my phone won't let me!!

message 15: by Abby (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abby Townsend I think you guys sort of missed the point. It definitely wouldn't have been the same with fewer characters. Think about it. It's all of the residents in an apartment complex! Any fewer would have been unrealistic. Besides, they all played a very important part. And the greater number of "players" only kept the game more interesting. Each had something to contribute.

Ellen Raskin is extremely clever and every single detail of this story was so thoroughly thought out. I can only dream of having her genius mind!

Ant's on a scale one through ten i would say about a 4