Ed's Reviews > Persuader

Persuader by Lee Child

Mar 03, 09

bookshelves: spy-political-thriller, reviewed
Recommended for: Mystery/Thriller Fans, Empty Calorie Lovers.
Read in March, 2009, read count: Once

Lee Child's books are one of my guilty pleasures.

"Persuader" meets my critera for guilty pleasure: plots that race at breakneck speed, characters that stop just short of being stereotypes, situations that almost defy belief, explicit violence, a little sex, plot twists and turns that keep me interested, a protagonist who is weird but likable, tough but with a soft heart and able to think at lightning speed.

In this version, Jack Reacher gets involved in trying to rescue an undercover DEA agent who just happens to be held by someone Reacher thought he had assassinated for all the right reasons, 10 years ago. In the process he meets and overcomes some of the most evil people you can imagine, befriends a spaniel puppy-like young man and his totally passive mother, and hooks up with some Federal Agents who are quite human for a change.

I finished the story in about 36 hours and like Chinese food, I was hungry for something more to read within a couple hours. I will undoubtedly pick up another Child "Reacher" novel in the next month or so. They are great for airplanes, buses, trains, eating alone in restaurants and waiting for friends who are invariably late. It doesn't take much to pick up the thread of the story. Lee Child is someone to enjoy after finishing a particularly deep book or because you just need to take a break from thinking, too much.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persuader.