Yan's Reviews > Silver Phoenix

Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon

Apr 05, 09

Read in April, 2009

** spoiler alert ** Silver Phoenix definitely was a fantasy read. The way it was written made me think of an RPG (role-playing game). Granted I have not played a single video game in my entire life but I like to watch others play. It was set up as a fight monster A, talk to townspeople, fight monster B, eat and rest, and so forth until you fight final boss. And let me tell you, they ate quite frequently and was told in great detail. After a while even I started to get hungry, mostly because I have eaten many of the food described so I can imagine it, and ended skimming through those scenes. And there was many of those scenes skimmed…Kill final boss, gigantic scene where spirits and sparkly lights come out of said boss’s mouth. Heroes or heroine in this case goes back home after completing her goal.

Cindy Pon had a never ending supply of mystical creatures! Some were interesting, others disturbing, but they were all, how should I say this, unique. But some scenes had me twitching like a rabid bunny.

“The Life Seeker can easily be distinguished by the extra breast on her sternum. The tips are dark blue, as her tongue and womanhood. Legend has it that the extra breast was given to replace the heart she does not have…” This is also a creature that wears a sheer top so you really cannot miss the other “thing” sticking out…Thankfully that is about the worst of the demons.

Another twitching scene: ‘“Don’t worry, Ai Ling. My manhood may be sitting in a jar, but I can still satisfy you in every way…” I may not be a guy, but this still makes me cringe and uncomfortable. Speaking of awkwardness, this book talks about rape and sex so if are not comfortable or allowed to read about such topics, then I suggest ask permission or skip those scenes. It is only a few short scenes, but a disclaimer can never hurt anyone.

This was a fast-paced book that took you all over the lands! From country side to country side, to the heavens and below, the reader embarks on the journey with Ai Ling. The tales were riveting and the details and explanations were exceptionally acute. Sometimes being more of the focal point than the actual plot.

Ai Ling and the rest of the characters took some time to get used to. She was a bit stubborn and naïve but later learned to…tolerate?

What I would have wished for the more details of Silver Phoenix, Ai Ling is the reincarnation of her. I think it would be a great idea if she wrote a sequel/prequel type of book told in Silver Phoenix’s point of view. It would clear up a lot of questions as well as provide another fascinating read.

Also this may be an ARC issue of not, but towards the end, Ai Ling’s father talks about Chen Yong’s past. There is a sudden shift of point of views that took a while to figure out and by the time I did, it went back to third person. You know, with the he’s/she’s instead of I’s, either the editors missed some quotations marked or they did notice this fumble.

Overall: I hope to see some type of sequel to this gorgeously written novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silver Phoenix.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy thanks for reading, yan!

message 2: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy good god, is your average rating really 2.something? i'll take my three stars. hahaha!

message 3: by Yan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yan Cindy wrote: "good god, is your average rating really 2.something? i'll take my three stars. hahaha!"

ahaha yes, my average on goodreads is a bit teensy weensy lower than what I normally put up on my blog :)

You should see me when I don't actually like a book rawr ;P

message 4: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Yan wrote: "Cindy wrote: "good god, is your average rating really 2.something? i'll take my three stars. hahaha!"

oh help.

message 5: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy thanks for taking the time to review my debut, yan!! it's so funny, i've had many mainly adult readers say that the book lacked description, that they wanted more!! every reader is so different! i really appreciate your thorough review. and KILLER CLOWNS RULE! *honk*

message 6: by Yan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yan Cindy wrote: "thanks for taking the time to review my debut, yan!! it's so funny, i've had many mainly adult readers say that the book lacked description, that they wanted more!! every reader is so different! i ..."

lol you have to decide what you want to do but just let your fingers type. don't force anything you're not comfortable with. don't kill me with your evil whoopee cushion gas!

message 7: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy i collect the gas from my munchkins. FEAR IT! =D hee!