Jerrit 811's Reviews > Sunrise Over Fallujah

3/2/09
8-1 LA
Sunrise over Fallujah
Goodreads

“Sunrise over Fallujah” was written by Walter Dean Myers and is a realistic fiction story about a young man named Robin “Birdy” Perry who is a new army recruit from Harlem. He is your average mid- twenties soldier who isn’t sure why he joined the army and he doesn’t have a good perspective that he’s going to Iraq or why. The plot takes place in Fallujah Iraq in many different places from in a humvee patrolling the streets to an average home trying to defuse a detonator in a flour jar. It starts out in a base camp mess hall south of Fallujah. There he meets Jonsey, a guitar playing blues man who grew up in the ghetto and he thought that joining the army would give him discipline and keep him out of trouble. He later found out that you shouldn’t make close friends because most likely, either you or the other person or both are going to die. He found out the hard way because on one of there missions, Jonesy was shot and later died at the base camp. Since this book is fairly short, if I were to tell you anything else, the book would be ruined. I think I would recommend this book to people who like war stories. I would rate this book a four star because there is a sexual assault scene and I would recommend this book to twelve year olds and above.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunrise Over Fallujah.