Rhiannon's Reviews > The Big Sleep

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler

2087556
Mar 02, 09

Read in February, 2009

At first I fell asleep pretty easily when reading this book. I would love to say that I dove right into it and loved every word of this masterpiece by Chandler, but really, I fell asleep frequently until getting at least 100 pages into it. I also fell asleep during the movie, which is supposed to be equally impressive. After 100 pages, though, something changed. The plot become (possibly?) easier to understand and I was immersed in the world Chandler creates with his unique prose. Anyone who's read a detective novel or seen a noir movie knows this world and knows how wonderful it is to escape there when you're tired of your humdrum modern, straightforward-speaking, femme ordinary (rather than fatale) world. After a while, it is less about what actually happens in this book and more about just appreciating the way that the characters interact and especially, the way that they converse. The ending is a shocker, but a great one, so if you're falling asleep in the beginning, get a cup of coffee (or more appropriately coffee spiked with whiskey, scotch, anything hard that Marlow drinks throughout the novel--think MadMen), and push through to the end! It will be worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Sleep.