Pinkbullets's Reviews > The Memory Keeper's Daughter

The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

Aug 20, 07

bookshelves: family-tragedies
Recommended for: women who love to literally sink into a wonderful story
Read in August, 2007

It doesn't happen too often that I stick with a paperback book of more than 500 pages up to the very end. Now, having closed the final page I feel satisfied, calm and yes, a little bit proud of myself.

Still, especially compared to real masterpieces I have read, there were certain parts in this book described in great detail, while I would have preferred Kim Edwards to rather get into details at other, different parts.

* * * SPOILER * * * *
Take Phoebe's life, for example. We do get quite an insight on how hard life has been for Caroline, although: what about Phoebe's viewpoints on all the things going on around her? Sure, Edwards does offer some dialogues once Phoebe is a grown-up girl, in love and convinced that she wants to spend her future with Robert - but how was growing for her in her earlier years?
Interesting - certainly, Edwards had her good reasons for picking out the adolescence of both children to make us readers get to know them better.
Also, I would have wished to see Norah being confronted with the truth while David was still alive. A part of me found it somehow unfair that Norah and Paul were not able to ask all those questions, to confront David with their anger and disappointment.
* * * SPOILER END * * * * *

All-in-all, though, I definitely enjoyed the fluent storytelling of Edwards and how the story developed. I felt deep respect for Caroline, the fights in her life while my absolute favorite character in this book was: Al.

I would recommend this book to women with time on their hands, who are willing to let themselves fall and sink into this beautifully told story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memory Keeper's Daughter.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jessica Overall, I liked this book too. I was a bit disappointed towards the end. It seemed like the author rushed to tie things up.

Pinkbullets * * * SPOILER * * * *
I fully agree - like mentioned above, I had the feeling that Kim Edwards could not think of a good way to let the confrontation happen while David was still alive.

Honestly, I felt pretty disappointed that David never had to explain to his wife and son why he had done it - and have to deal with their reactions.

Also, the moment Norah got to meet her daughter was not described as much in details as I would have wanted it. Other parts of the book, though, gave us a great lot of insight.

All-in-all, it was a good read. Maybe Edwards should let us pre-read her books in the future before releasing them ;)