Dottie's Reviews > Little Women

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Mar 01, 09

read count: 2

Love this book! Love the way it is written! Love the life lessons in it.

Some quotes I noted:

"’Because they are mean is no reason why I should be. I hate such things, and though I think I've a right to be hurt, I don't intend to show it. They will feel that more than angry speeches or huffy actions, won't they, Marmee?’" (Amy)
"’That's the right spirit, my dear; a kiss for a blow is always best, though it's not very easy to give it sometimes," said her mother with the air of one who had learned the difference between preaching and practicing.’
“In spite of various very natural temptations to resent and retaliate, Amy adhered to her resolution all the next day, bent on conquering her enemy by kindness...Many wise and true sermons are preached us every day by unconscious ministers in street, school, office, or home; even a fair table may become a pulpit, if it can offer the good and helpful words which are never out of season. Amy's conscience preached her a little sermon from that text, then and there; and she did what many of us do not always do--took the sermon to heart, and straightway put it in practice.”(Alcott, pp. 334-335)

"It's very curious, but the more I try to satisfy myself with all sorts of natural affections, the more I seem to want. I'd no idea hearts could take in so many; mine is so elastic, it never seems full now, and I used to be quite contented with my family " (Alcott, p.486).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Women.