Dottie's Reviews > The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys

The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys by Doris Kearns Goodwin

Aug 21, 11

bookshelves: worth-rereading, hisotrical-biography

I was 12 when John F. Kennedy gained the Whitehouse. I knew nothing of politics, but I fell in love with Jackie Kennedy's persona. His assassination happened when I was 15, and like most other people, it left an imprint on my life. I have heard many documentaries on JFK, some pro and some con. I wanted to hear the truth from this book. Doris always tells both sides.

I love Doris Kearns Goodwin's books. I love the way she writes history. She not only tells what is happening in the Kennedy and Fitzgerald's lives, she fits it into the history of the nation and even the world. She is so thorough in her telling that you feel like you have taken a college course in history, however, she teaches through stories. I went to a book signing on Lincoln-Team of Rivals, and she said that she gets irritated with history teachers who make history dull by date memorization, etc. She feels that if you teach the stories that comprise the history, the dates and important facts will be automatically infused in student brains. So her books are detailed stories that keep me wanting more. I also think she tells the truth whatever it may be. She praised Joe Kennedy for his his few good qualities but continued on to help us understand his flaws and perhaps reasons for them, but she did not sugar coat anything.

I loved learning the history of Boston, the Irish immigrants, the politics of this whole era.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fitzgeralds and the Kennedys.