Dottie's Reviews > Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

Mar 01, 09

bookshelves: classic
read count: 5

"Last night I dreamed I went to Manderly..." Very interesting mysterious read. It is told in first person by a young woman who is a companion to a rich, old, hoity-toity, social climbing lady. They travel to Monaco where she meets Maxim de Winter. She feels intimidated by everything around her as she is a shy, unrefined, naive young woman. Those qualities that make her feel inferior are the qualities Max falls in love with. Like Cinderella, she is swept up into a life in a huge castle like home with her prince. However there are dark secrets in her "castle." Everyone addresses her as Mrs. DeWinter, and one of the interesting things about the book is that we never learn her first name. Rebecca is Max's first wife, and her presence is felt everywhere. The new Mrs. DeWinter seems to live in her shadow.

The mystery of the book, Manderly (the house) and England are what pulled me into the book. Mrs. DeWinter's insecurities and youth add to the impact of the mystery and suspense of the book, but the redeeming feature is the strength she eventually finds through her experiences at Manderly..

"I suppose sooner or later in the life of everyone comes a moment of trial. We all of us have our particular devil who rides us and torments us, and we must give battle in the end. We have conquered ours...”p.5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebecca.