Wilson Mui's Reviews > Confidence Men: Wall Street, Washington, and the Education of a President

Confidence Men by Ron Suskind

M_50x66
Jan 02, 13

Read from December 17, 2012 to January 02, 2013

Confidence Men is a typical easy read by Suskind. It's well written and weaves political rustlings into dramatic plots. The book spends probably about 75% on the financial meltdown of 2008 (and the Presidential election leading up to), and about 25% on the health care reform bill pushed by President Obama in his first term. I think the subtitle is pretty complete in its explanation of what the book is about and it basically delivers. Though there are better books about the 2008 crash ("Too Big To Fail" by Sorkin), this is a good mix of that and really exposing Pres. Obama's meandering policies in his first 2 years.

In summation I would say is that I feel like the "Confidence Men" around Obama was less at fault for Obama's ineffectiveness than President Obama himself, it seemed like he allowed his inner circle to take the lead in much of the financial reform that was on the table, and then he allowed them to take it off the table. That is, I suppose, his responsibility after all (and he duly takes responsibility for it).

Nice easy read if you like well-crafted political drama.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confidence Men.