Evie's Reviews > We Thought You Would Be Prettier: True Tales of the Dorkiest Girl Alive

We Thought You Would Be Prettier by Laurie Notaro

Mar 06, 09

bookshelves: abandoned
Read in March, 2009

I thought the title of this book was highly inaccurate. To call herself 'Dorky' implies that the author is endearing in her own awkward way. I believe it should have been called "We Thought You Would Be Mildly Amusing: True Tales of the Most Irritating Female Archetype Alive." From the first page this book made me grit my teeth. Whether complaining about being a size 14 and fat (really?) or whining about how little room there is on an airplane (among numerous other comedy cliches), everything about this woman made the feminist and humourist in me pissed off. This book sucked. So much so, in fact, that I refuse to read past page 127. I've had enough. I used to pride myself on sucking it up and finishing every book I'd started, but this abortion made me realize that life is too short to read crap.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Thought You Would Be Prettier.

03/01/2009 page 30
13.45% "I know it's early, but I'm struggling. I hate it. The narrative voice not unlike that of a searing Kathy Griffin trying to be funny."

Robin too funny - i feel the exact same way about trying to give a book it's fair chance....I made it to page 120!

message 2: by Nor (new) - rated it 1 star

Nor Finn I am only on pg 37 and can barely stand it any longer. Just hoping for some redemption...prob won't find. Ugh! This is bad