Cassie's Reviews > Mairelon the Magician

Mairelon the Magician by Patricia C. Wrede

Mar 01, 09

bookshelves: bookwyrm_chrysalis_reviews
Recommended for: fans of Socery and Cecelia

Kim has played the part of a thieving boy for most of her life, hiding her gender being the safer alternative to revealing herself as a girl in the dark underbelly of Regency London. But she knows this career path will soon come to an end, as at seventeen she is quickly outgrowing her disguise. When a job leads her into Mairelon the magician’s wagon, she finds real magic and an opportunity to become someone new.

Following Mairelon as he flees from the city, she quickly finds herself lost in a plot of stolen magic artifacts and aristocratic intrigues. Soon she’ll have to give up the freedom of being a boy forever and try to figure out who she really is, so that she can become Mairelon’s student and enter London Society as a real magician. But being a girl brings new problems, marriage proposals, and a definite notion that nothing fun also falls under the heading of being Proper.

I’m reviewing these two books together, because odds are the easiest copy of the books to find is the combined version. Really, I think they work much better together, as the first ends with an incomplete feeling (all right, fine, that’s code for no real romance). In addition, I liked the second book, Magician’s Ward, much better, but I think you need to start with the first book, Mairelon the Magician.

In essence, reading these books is pretty much just like reading Sorcery and Cecelia, except with different characters and plot. The feeling and world are the same, and while I can’t find anything that says the books all take place in the same world, they easily could. In fact, how magic is treated in the worlds, history, etc., all seems to be pretty much the same, except in Sorcery and Cecelia magicians create focuses, which is at least never mentioned in the Mairelon books. What all this means is if you haven’t read these yet and love Sorcery and Cecelia, these might need to be next on your to-be-read list.

Read more of my review and past reviews at Bookwyrm Chrysalis

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mairelon the Magician.