Candice's Reviews > Good Grief

Aug 19, 07

bookshelves: grief-books, fiction, chick-lit
Recommended to Candice by: Mellissa
Read in August, 2005

I read this about a month after my husband died, and I remember thinking at the time how amazing it was that someone absolutely GOT so many of the crazy things that were going through my head. Some of the descriptions of grief and the crazy things you think, feel, and do are absolutely spot on...but after about halfway through the book it just traipses off into la-la, fantasy land. At 2 years now after my husband died, and having met a great number of young widows in those two years, it's absolutely idiotic that the protagonist would be doing so cluelessly well within a year of her husband's death. And I found the ending offensive, especially as a widow. For trying to describe grief and all its insanity, the author does an amazing job, but it's obvious that she is NOT a widow and is simply imagining what a "happy" ending might be like. So I give it 4 stars for its description of grief, the author's voice, and the narrative flow...but I give it about a 2 out of 5 for being an inaccurate depiction of widowhood. To anyone who's experienced widowhood at an early age, it's ludicrous and offensive to suggest that grieving is over within a year or that finding another man constitutes a happy ending, and books like this only help to reinforce that misconception. But...that being said, I loved the book, up to a point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Grief.

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Angela As a young widow myself, I think your review is right on.

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ann Baxter Amen sister. I have been widowed for almost three years. I still wear my rings, his clothes are still in our house. I function in the world just fine - never wear my slippers to work - but private moments alone, I still miss him and always will.

Nancy Wood I am not a widow, but I have experienced loss and I felt the exact same way. To have her life come around within a year and be so tied-up-and-happy by the end was not at all believable.

Sandy Griffin I'd been widowed about a year and a half when I read this book. I totally agree with you!

Becca Totally agree with this review. Widow for 5 months. First half of book is right on then it enters into happily ever after territory.