Katrina's Reviews > The Duchess War

The Duchess War by Courtney Milan

Dec 19, 12

bookshelves: favorites, romance
Read from December 16 to 19, 2012

I loved it! This is another great historical romance from Courtney Milan. I stayed up late reading this just so I could read some more.

Minnie spent the first few years of her life as a boy. Her father brought her along on his adventures all over the continent and introduced her to the world as his son. This deception became too much, and at the age of 12, Minnie was ruined. She was ridiculed and called an abomination for daring to masquerade as a boy. Because of that, she harbors a fear for crowds and mobs and has been lying low and living with her two aunts. Now that her aunts are very old, Minnie will be soon left with nothing so she needs a husband. Robert had a lonely childhood as the son of a vicious, mean duke. He is very down to earth, he's the only duke who doesn't want to be a duke. He writes handbills encouraging people of the middle and lower class to go on a strike and fight for their rights. When suspicion falls upon Minnie as the author of the handbills, Minnie will do anything it takes to protect herself from being revealed. I found the characters very real and their story very believable. It was deliciously angsty, semi-heartbreaking at times, and giggle inducing in others. There were also some funny, laugh out loud moments. The secondary characters were also endearing. I found myself constantly cheering for the main characters to have their happily ever after. Overall, this one is a keeper. It might even merit a few re-reads in the future. I recommend this to everyone who likes angsty historical romances.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duchess War.

12/16/2012
50.0% "I stayed up late reading this last night. The angst was awesome. I'm so looking forward to finishing it tonight."