jacky's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Aug 29, 14

bookshelves: grad, 2009, taught, highschool, adult-fiction, 2011, book-club, 1001cbymrbyug, ccexemplars
Recommended for: everyone!!
Read in October, 1995, read count: 5

Every time I read this book, I notice more details that make it amazing. During my most recent reading (Jan 2011), I marveled at how almost every event and detail work towards the two major episodes of the plot.

This was the first book I read in high school. I love this book. It makes me feeling warm and fuzzy, gives me goosebumps, makes me laugh, and makes me want to cry all at the same time. I see this book really as being about a man teaching his children good values. My favorite part is probably, "Stand up, Scout. Your daddy's walking by." That and everything about Boo Radley. I feel like I should be able to say more about this book, but all I can think of is to say, "You know the part when ..., that part is SO GOOD!" But I guess I can manage to say that this might be the first book I read that starts with the ending and then works its way back to the beginning.

I got to teach this book twice, once to freshmen (all of them) and once to sophomores (a small class of 14). I enjoyed teaching it the second time so much more because of the places we could go when I was looping with all the students and could push them farther. I must say that while it sees iconic in my life that this book was my first high school book, I don't think it was well placed in my education. I liked it, but I don't remember much in terms of discussion of the book. We did however do one of my favorite projects, which was to make huge maps of Maycomb. I think this project was supposed to get us to work on close reading skills and visualizing what we read, as well as symbolism since we included things like Mayella's flower pots. Even so, it wasn't until I was older and looked back on what I remembered, that I noticed how good it was. Each time I read it, it seems to get better.

Quotes jacky Liked

Harper Lee
“I wanted you to see what real courage is, instead of getting the idea that courage is a man with a gun in his hand. It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.
- Atticus Finch”

Harper Lee
“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.”

Harper Lee
“It was times like these when I thought my father, who hated guns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived.”

Harper Lee
“They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions... but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.”

Harper Lee
“Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin'.”

03/16/2009 page 54
19.22% "Just as enjoyable this time"
03/18/2009 page 115
40.93% "I <3 Atticus!"
12/18/2010 page 1
0.0% "Second selection for my (non-online) book club. I'm so excited!"
01/20/2011 page 208
74.0% "Stand up Scout, your daddy's passing - never fails to get me welling up"
show 4 hidden updates…