Jess's Reviews > Silent in the Grave

Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn

Mar 02, 09

bookshelves: historical-fiction, mystery, adult-fiction
Read in March, 2009

The perfect thing to devour on a sick day. I barely got off the couch, completely diverted by this entertaining blend of historical fiction, mystery, great characters, and snappy dialogue. It's nothing too serious, but the writing has none of those terrible, annoying flaws often found in fluffier books. The characters were all fascinating, there was some great (and completely unresolved) sexual tension, fun descriptions of clothes - and I was really more interested in all of that than in the mystery itself. The mystery is certainly entertaining, even though I managed to guess the murderer (even with diminished brain function), but of course there are all sorts of smaller mysteries that must be solved on the way to the main event, and these were a bit trickier to guess at. If I'd had the second book on hand, I would've picked it up and started it immediately. Definitely recommended - it would make great airplane reading, or work any time you want to be "excessively diverted" without thinking too hard.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent in the Grave.