Amy's Reviews > Essex County Vol. 1: Tales from the Farm

F 50x66
Mar 01, 2009

bookshelves: alex-award
Read in January, 2009

This book is about a 10-year-old orphan who lives with his uncle who he does not understand. He becomes friends with an ex-hockey player in his town who relates to him on his level, but his uncle does not approve of this friendship. The most obvious developmental asset in this book is Other Adult Relationships because the boy gets something from the ex-hockey player that he can not get from his uncle. Perhaps because his uncle is so closely tied to and involved with the life changing event of his parents dying. Somehow through his friend, he is able to get some peace about this part of his life. I found it very believable, although graphic novels are not my favorite format; this story seemed to work well that way. Perhaps because so much of how we find peace with life-changing events happens on the inside not the outside, so having meaning buried in the pictures seemed more natural with this topic. I would promote this book to teens that like graphic novels. Particularly teens who like the super-hero, classic graphic novels because the boy pretends to be a super-hero throughout until the end. Teens who are suffering though the death of a close family member or other tragic family change would also benefit from this book.

5Q, 2P, A/AY, G

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Essex County Vol. 1.