MsBrie's Reviews > The Road of Lost Innocence: The True Story of a Cambodian Heroine

The Road of Lost Innocence by Somaly Mam

Mar 15, 2009

bookshelves: adventure, memoir, truth, political
Read in March, 2009

Wow, not only is this book fast paced, it's both inspirational and frightening. Author Somaly Mam was sold into sexual slavery as a child. With the assistance of some European aid workers SM is able to escape her dire conditions. Yet rather than escape permanently from her F***ed up country of Cambodia, SM devotes her life to assisting other young women/children in escaping sexual slavery.

The Road of Lost Innocence opened my eyes to a situation I knew little about. It is unfortunate that evil can still exist in this world- and take the lives and souls of so many innocent Cambodian females. Yet SM shows to us, without being cliche, that one person truly can make a difference.

Even long after finishing reading this testament to the injustice paid to young women around the world, one can not get this novel out of her mind...

In future releases of the Road of Lost Innocence I would like to see a quick timeline included on the history of Cambodia. That would assist the reader in having an enhanced understanding of setting of this novel.

Also, will NOT be traveling to Cambodia!!!

btw- will be discussing this at the "genocide bookclub"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road of Lost Innocence.

Patty I'm making progress

MsBrie Yay! I am soo happy! We'll have our book club meeting in no time!

Patty Let me know what dates you guys are thinking about...I've got some trips coming up that will have me out of town here and there. Talk to you later.

MsBrie Will do! I'm thinking a week night but I'll get back to you!