JayeL's Reviews > An Illustrated Life: Drawing Inspiration from the Private Sketchbooks of Artists, Illustrators and Designers

An Illustrated Life by Danny Gregory

591995
May 15, 09

bookshelves: 2009
Read in April, 2009

Danny Gregory has been recommended to me many times, especially by Amy of the Creative Mom podcast, a very creative and high quality podcast. I bought the book she uses as her bible (it sounds like), The Creative License after I had reserved An Illustrated Life at the library. Of course I received them all the same week. I think that this book will be similar to the one I loved by the Jennifer New, Drawing From Life: The Journal as Art, but I will let you know after I have given it a thorough going over!

Later:
I looked through it very carefully and it does turn out to be the same idea as the Jennifer New book, Drawing From Life: The Journal as Art. I didn't read all the text and will probably only read some of it, but some of the journals Danny Gregory chose are really not my style. I have a hard time appreciating art that is, in my view, ugly. I found some of the journal entries to be filled with sketches, drawings and paintings that I had an almost impossible time appreciating. The ones that really got to me seemed to be grotesque combinations of humans and animals.

Even later:
I looked through the book again and read more of the entries. I have to admit that there are a lot of sketches and drawings which are not revolting. I found the words of the some of the artists intriguing as well.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Illustrated Life.