Trevor Poe's Reviews > The King of Torts

The King of Torts by John Grisham

M_50x66
Mar 01, 09

Recommended to Trevor by: My mother
Recommended for: Anyone who likes legal thrillers and books about lawyers and lawsuits
Read in March, 2009, read count: 1

I’ve never knew much about law cases, but John Grisham made me feel as if I was a lawyer in Washington, D.C. myself. Clay Carter, a lawyer for the firm OPD, is a man struggling to make money at the law firm he works at. “The beginning salary for an OPD lawyer was 36,000 dollars. The most senior lawyer, a frazzled of man of forty-three, earned 57,600 dollars and has been threatening to quit for nineteen years.” When given an unbelievable opportunity, the story tells about how he handles himself while being a mass tort lawyer.

When Clay is working at OPD and is struggling to get money, his rich girlfriend, Rebecca Vanhorn, decides that she needs somebody with more money. Rebecca grew up with rich parents who always gave her what she wanted. When her parents put inside her head that she deserves better than Clay, she leaves him.

The next day, a man named Max Pace calls Clay with a great opportunity. Max Pace is a man with many names. Max is the only name mentioned in the book. He calls Clay about the murder case he is handling and Clay’s client, Tequila Watson.

Tequila is a nineteen-year-old boy who is in jail for murder. He is a kid that was on drugs, but had no other problems. In fact, the rehabilitation center director says, “But the kid was pretty tame, no history of violence.”

Max tells Clay that the prescription drug that Tequila was taking, Tarvan, has a defect. It makes one percent of the people who take it want to kill somebody. Max says that his client, the drug company that manufactured Tarvan, has destroyed all records and wants to settle quickly. Max hires Clay to find all the victims’ families, and make them his clients. Then Max’s clients would settle for any amount of money.

Clay becomes rich over the Tarvan case and makes his own law firm. Max becomes his partner. Max has stolen records on a pill named Dyloft. Dyloft is a prescription drug used for arthritis, but it makes tumors in the bladder. Clay files for suit against the manufacturer of the pill, Ackerman Labs, immediately and has thousands of clients calling him.

One theme of the book would be that no matter how rich you are, you should not let money go to your head. Clay makes millions of dollars and is always telling himself to not let the money go to his head. He ends up believing you have to spend money to make money.

I liked this book because it is so much like real life. He makes commercials that are just like some of the ones we see on television at night. It is also very interesting about how much the pharmaceutical companies are willing to pay to keep a case from going to court, and how much the lawyers keep for themselves. This book shows greed and how it gets the best of people.

One thing I did not like about this book was that at times, it would get boring. It was boring because of all the details that had to be given about the cases and all the stuff the lawyers had to do to prepare for them. Once they filed for suit is when the book started getting interesting again.

Page Count: 470

Genre: Realistic Fiction

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The King of Torts.