Frances's Reviews > Into the Wild

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

Dec 25, 12

bookshelves: reviewed
Recommended for: non-judgmental people who like a good story
Read on December 25, 2012

I was almost turned off this book by some of the GR reviews. I like reading reviews, but I’m glad I don’t care what other people think. I’m not a huge fan of non-fiction but, as far as I know, Jon Krakauer is an excellent non-fiction writer. I heard McCandless’ journey through Krakauer’s writing. I will probably pick up another one of his books.

I wonder sometimes why we react to fictional characters and non-fictional “characters” so differently. A person’s journey to find their truth and travel their road is not subject to other's approval. Do we criticize a fictional character’s integrity so easily? Do we call the WRITER immature, reckless? Are we appalled by his (the writer's) life choices to write such a character? He did divine his character, didn’t he?

I never judge an experience by the age of its experiencer. Do wisdom, maturity and insight come ONLY with age and experience? No. McCandless was young. He was a guy looking for his truth, living his life on his terms. He chose a different path. How is he any different than the other non-fiction “characters” in Krakauer’s books? We are all writing our own non-fiction stories. We are all our own fictional characters when we look back on our life, on our memories, on our life story. Krakauer writes Into the Wild from memories of McCandless life, from his research as a writer, and from his journey to discover McCandless' story. That, to me is fiction AND non-fiction brilliance. Real or imaginary we all write our own stories.

A few favorite thoughts from Into the Wild:

We just have to have the courage to turn against our habitual lifestyle and engage in unconventional living.

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

Money makes people cautious.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Wild.

12/25/2012 "Who doesn't give themselves to the wild? And why not?"
12/25/2012 page 207
100.0% "Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness give me truth."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Petra X I really enjoyed this book too.

Frances Petra X wrote: "I really enjoyed this book too."

This book made me reflect on my own journey. I've had crazy adventures, and I've also walked the line, but I am satisfied with my journey so far. I look forward to more adventures, but I know I will have to work for them.

I find that people full of bitterness and regret thought this person was TOO young, and thus unstable, and foolish to "give up" his comfortable lifestyle. How can one judge another persons comfort? We may not understand it, but it was HIS choice to make. I try not to judge people. We are all the sum of our choices, and I cannot know anyone elses truth but my own. More often than not we forget we have choices. LIVING everyday and NOT giving up is a choice.

Today, I choose to be content. 8)

message 3: by Cem/Lucky (new)

Cem/Lucky oh my dear, you are absolutely right. i love this book and Chris is just like me. I love his style of writing and thinking and it's wonderful to identify with this awesome guy. I thank you for your opinion and for me it's also a hero. His reaction of leaving his parents was the right one to found himself. Me and my boyfriend Frodo want to find us also and this book inspired us so much.

Frances I'm so glad this book touched us in a positive way. I will admit, as a mother, it has been bittersweet watching my boys choose their way. I've always said, I gave them some good tools (I hope!), now they can build whatever life suits them best. All I hope is that they are content with their choices.