Sarah Kelsey's Reviews > Fate

Fate by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Mar 23, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, chicklit, young-adult, elastic-reality
Read in March, 2011

I want to give this 3.5 stars because I will be shoving into the hands of every high school girl who can't get enough urban fantasy, but I won't be pushing it on any adults. It's a great book for teen girls.

This followup to Tattoo continues the saga of Bailey, the high school fairy-human half-blood, and her group of friends. This particular installment reminded me of The Divine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood because of the close friendship between these four girls and the climactic scene, which I won't spoil here.

Barnes has impressed me with her plot and her characters. She is certainly writing for young adults so, while the lines of her stories might be a bit predictable to a seasoned reader. I appreciate that she structures her plots in a way that are excitingly tense and feel real, but also do not cross the line into territory that young readers often don't feel ready to traverse. She taps into the anxiety of the average teen, but she doesn't foist adult problems onto adolescents who certainly have plenty of stress to deal with as tweens and teens. Barnes hits a good middle ground, and I think that is, in some ways, more difficult to do than writing just for children or just for adults. She's writing for people who are halfway between, but she does it adeptly.

I'd still like to see her try her hand at an adult novel. I'm curious to see what she'd do.

I will not be surprised to see book 3 in a year or so. She's set up a battle between her protagonist and a rather powerful group of antagonists. Surely sparks will fly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fate.