Daniel's Reviews > The Invisibles, Vol. 1: Say You Want a Revolution

The Invisibles, Vol. 1 by Grant Morrison

Mar 01, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: graphic-novels, fantasy, science-fiction, urban-fantasy
Recommended to Daniel by: Quentin Lewis
Read in February, 2009

An interesting work, filled with dark and mystical themes. It's a little hard to get into, there's a unique rhythm to the narrative that the reader needs to find before they can really flow with it. The world is being controlled by an alien (extra-dimensional) conspiracy that forces people into soul-less compliant behavior, and the Invisibles are a secret society of guerrilla cells that practice both physical and psychic warfare against said conspiracy.

It's an ambitious plot, and this first volume does an admirable job introducing the reader to the concepts, but the narrative suffers a bit as a result. It doesn't help either that at least in this volume the overall impression of the central characters on all sides is that they are either vaguely drawn (and I don't mean the artwork) or completely unlikeable.

There is some intersting ideas at work here, but if I hadn't picked up the next two volumes at the same time (based off of recommendations from numerous people) I probably would have stopped here.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisibles, Vol. 1.