Julie Davis's Reviews > Galactic Pot-Healer

bookshelves: 2013-list
Recommended to Julie by: Jesse from SFFaudio
Read from December 30, 2012 to January 01, 2013

Latest Update:
I'm rereading this preparatory to this weekend's discussion with the SFFaudio podcast gang. I have to say the book definitely warrants two readings. The first time through I was rather overcome by the depressing world of Dick's creation. This is leavened somewhat by Dick's use of humor of all kinds, even wrapped in the depressing details of a life micro-managed by the government. However, the second time through, knowing the basic plot and resigned to the depressing world, the humor shines. I am laughing on practically every page. For one thing, every robot has a personality and a smart mouth for comebacks when the protagonist tries to get around the government rules.

========

I must thank Jesse from SFFaudio for recommending this book. Although it began on a very depressing tone that didn't entirely lift during the story (which I'm told is par for the course for P.K. Dick), I nonetheless enjoyed it.

The idea of a Lovecraftian elder god having a benevolent bent toward humankind and working with others to achieve a goal is one that tickles my funny bone. I also have a feeling that at least one writer for Futurama read this book also, based on the way the Glummung physically works with others. I don't want to give anything away so won't elaborate on that, but if you've seen it and read this book then you know what I mean. I laughed aloud when I got to that part.

I had to think about the end of the book for a little while (which I'm told is also par for the course for PKD) but in the end I liked it. Although I have a feeling that perhaps PKD didn't feel the same way I did. I think that's my Catholicism coming through. I'd really like to discuss this. Perhaps an SFFaudio or Good Story episode is needed to discuss this. Also, my youngest daughter Rose is going to read this and since she's read several of PKD's novels already, I am looking forward to talking to her about it also (which would be super-fun to do on a podcast also).
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Galactic Pot-Healer.

03/21/2013 page 30
16.0% "Rereading for SFFaudio discussion this weekend. Rereading this for SFFaudio -- discussion to be recorded this weekend. The second time through, knowing the basic plot and resigned to the depressing world, the humor shines. I love that every robot has a personality and a smart mouth for comebacks when the protagonist tries to get around the government rules."
03/22/2013 page 90
50.0% "Still hilarious while looking at fear of failure and many other depressing things (this IS Philip K. Dick, after all). But ... this second reading is really making me like the book in a different way."