Rob's Reviews > Double Contact

Double Contact by James White

199135
Aug 19, 07

Read in August, 2007

I did like this book, but this is probably the first time I have read a book and doubted it was written by the proclaimed author. This book was published the year james white died and there are some inaccuracies which he was very careful of during the first 12 books. Whenever aliens are referred to it is as an 'it' as opposed to 'he' or 'she' unless there is medical reason to have to refer to the beings gender. One of the main characters Pricilla, an empathic insect who is a major character in many of the books, was referred to as he all throughout this book, which is out of style of the rest of the books in addition to the fact that in one of the previous books Pricilla was specifically identified as a female during a conversion about how to refer to beings of another species. Either this book was pulled together from notes left by the deceased or james white was loosing some of his faculties near the end of his life.

As a series I had never read before, the sector general series was a fun, set of easy light reads which I would recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Double Contact.

Pamela Su I respectfully disagree with your statements. Prilicla was always male. A number of references in previous books indicated this: Conway called Prilicla "brother" when he had the Cinrusskin GLNO tape.

Also, SG only allowed males to retain Educator tapes. Diagnosticians had numerous tapes. Since Prilicla was being considered for this position, this means it was a he. There was no evidence to suggest that the hospital has (at that time) changed the rules regarding Educator tapes.

The switch from it to he is expected as this book is from Prilicla's perspective. All previous SG books were from the Earth humans' (O'Mara & Conway) perspectives.