Jenny's Reviews > Still Alice

Still Alice by Lisa Genova

Mar 04, 09

Read in March, 2009

This book was great. If you have gone through Alzheimer's Disase before with a loved one, you will recognize and love this character. The twist is that she has early-onset AD, so she is only 50 years old, her children are grown and she has a successful career. This was a great book. The story was great, the characters seemed real and believable, the writing was clear and direct. In fact, it reminded me a lot of Kite Runner because there too I just loved the story and the characters, but the writing was very simple, nothing fancy. I cried several times while reading it; I was sad to finish it and I still think about the book even when it is over.

I just recently read Saturday which this reminded me of a little--the 50-something successful professionals, the PhD/MD connections, the successful grown children--but I felt that Saturday failed miserably at getting you to care about the characters or believe in them. They were too perfect, too annoying. Here the characters were lovable, real, imperfect. The story pulls you along, almost like a mystery going on withone one woman's mind. You know where this is going, but you are so curious to see how it unfolds. How will she tell her children? What will she do about her successful career? How will she cope?

I think this would be a great book club book... there is a lot to discuss. I want so badly to talk about this book with someone. What would you do if you were diagnosed with Alzheimers in the middle of your life? How would it be to be the spouse?

This book raises lots of questions and keeps you thinking. It also puts you so humbly in the shoes of a woman with Alzheimers, someone you can relate to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Alice.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Kelly if you liked Still Alice, you may like my new book The Bird House. Library Journal called it a "a great title for book clubs and fans of 'Still Alice.' "

Emma I felt like that too. I really wanted to talk about this book when I finished it - it was so terrifying, and of course, all you can think as you're reading it is "what if it were me?" I was supportive of her "plan" and when I could see what was happening... it was truly nightmarish.

Kelly I'm with you and Emma, I really continued to think about Alice and her family long after I finished the book. How such drastic changes unspiraled their neat lives.

Joanna I am really glad that I did read this book with my book group. We still talk about it. We just read her second novel, Left Neglected, which was also good. Nothing comes close to Still Alice though!