Erik Graff's Reviews > Mac Bird!

Mac Bird! by Barbara Garson

Aug 13, 10

bookshelves: drama
Recommended to Erik by: Edward J. Erickson
Recommended for: students of the antiwar movement
Read in December, 1980 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I'd heard a lot about this play since its first production in New York but didn't get around to reading the thing until finding it for sale in a used edition. Indeed, much of what I read is stuff discovered fortuitously, years after the intent was formed. Excepting cases of necessity, such as an assigned reading for a class, I rarely go out of my way to obtain a title.

Years later, when I was ending my eleventh year as chair of the state affiliate of the Socialist Party, I met the author, Barbara Garson, who, now a middle-aged woman, was running as our candidate for the Vice-Presidency.

While I thought the play quite clever at the time of reading it, a younger person with no memory of the sixties would likely miss much of the satire.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mac Bird!.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rick (new)

Rick Strong MacBird was a sensation here in NYC - I remember reading about it in the Times as an 11th grader. I believe it was a big step in the career of Stacy Keach: not his first B'way or off-B'way appearance, but this time he won several awards for his portrayal of LBJ as MacBeth.