Sara ♥'s Reviews > Winnie-the-Pooh

Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne

Feb 28, 2009

bookshelves: challenge-spring-2009, juvenile, humor, 2009, film
Recommended for: People who liked Winnie the Pooh as a child, children, parents of small children
Read in March, 2009 , read count: 1

4.5 stars for sure. I should probably give it 5 out of principle... haha...

All right. This book didn't read very easily. The writing style is pretty.... disjointed, or something. I don't really know what the deal was. BUT I found it VERY amusing. People just weren't as politically correct in... 1926. No surprise there. So Christopher Robin has no problem calling Pooh a "Bear of Very Little Brains". No one would dare say something like that today.

But my FAVORITE part was all the RANDOM capitalization. Okay, it wasn't random, but it was hilarious. Like A.A. Milne was creating his own Proper Phrases that were Deserving of Capitalization. Some examples:

"Complaining Song"
"Stoutness Exercises"
"Food and Listening-to-Me-Humming"
"Wedged Bear in Great Tightness"
"Hostile Animals"
"Foolish and Deluded"
"Cunning Trap"
"Very Deep Pit"
"Very Clever Brain"
"Jar of Honey"

Those are from the first 50 pages. Anyway--I thought it was great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winnie-the-Pooh.

03/03/2009 page 30
18.63% "ish. There are 10 stories in the book, and I've finished 2 of them. It's very cute! I can picture all the cartoons to go with the stories..."
03/06/2009 page 62
38.51% "I'm in the middle of story 5. I was about to fall asleep, so I had to stop. I'll finish in the next couple of days."
03/09/2009 page 90
55.9% "Six stories down, four to go. Cute stuff. Jason can't figure out how they ever became popular, because they're just so random! :)"
03/10/2009 page 100
62.11% "Six stories down, seven to go!"
03/10/2009 page 100
62.11% "Wow, Sara can't do math today. Apparently 10 minus 6 is 7 now. WOW! I have FOUR stories left. 4."
03/16/2009 page 120
74.53% "I'm halfway through story 8. This book is not going very quickly..."
03/20/2009 page 136
84.47% "I'm now into story 9 of 10. I'm carrying it around in my purse with me, because I want to freaking finish it already! It's worth 25 points!"