Lily's Reviews > The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

Dec 15, 2012

Read in December, 2012

He reduces "habit" to a loop that consists of Cues, Behavior, Reward. Although I think that basic structure is there, I think it would have been more helpful to show a detailed example of how this basic structure can be moderated by different factors. If it really were that simple, no one would have diet problems. Take the example of the cookie he uses at the end-- that worked on him because he didn't really have such a big problem. A little mindfulness and replacing the cookie routine with a chat with a colleague solved his problem. IRL, people's food cravings are part of biochemical cycles. There's insulin and some other molecules involved-- if you google it, you can see how there are many things going on when someone is hungry. A person can be hungry even though they have just eaten a couple of hours ago if their body is in an inactive/ storage/ sedentary mode. The person only "gets" a small amount of energy/ calories from the food they ate and stores the rest. Eating more food will only make the body store more, you'll get a little boost of energy but then you'll be more sluggish than ever (not to mention fatter). The trick is to get your body back into burn/ active mode.

I don't think you would discover this by "experimenting with rewards" as he states.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Habit.