Jay's Reviews > Shadow Divers

Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson

Aug 19, 2007

bookshelves: favorites, nonfiction

I've maintained for 2 years (or however long it's been since I first read Shadow Divers on Stan's recommendation) that it is my favorite book. Indeed, I repeat that same claim now.

Deep off the coast of NJ, lies entombed a forgotten mystery of WWII. The government doesn't know it's there, the crews' families don't know it's there, the fishermen hundreds of feet above it don't even know it's there. But one fisherman knows something is there, thanks to his depth-finder. Fast forward through a sequence of events, and the numbers for the location are in the hands of John Chatterton, an underwater welder who dives deep sea wrecks for recreation. Shadow Divers is the story of how Chatterton and his crew first discovered the Atlantic wreck and how they gave up years of their free time trying to identify it. They learned not only about the ships of the day, but of how a crew would live, how to respect the ruins, and most importantly, how to test each other's mettle in the face of adversity--in the face of death.

It's a riveting story. I knew nothing of SCUBA or wreck diving before reading this book, yet now I feel like I've taken a scholarly class on the topic. The writing is exquisite, interesting, entertaining, riveting, and depressing all at once. The characters come to life, as Kurson details the methods and dangers of wreck diving.

I guarantee you'll finish this book in 1-3 days. It's that good. Perfect for a flight or a long train ride. Do yourself a favor and don't look it up and read about it too much - you'll spoil the surprise. Just take my word for it. READ IT!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow Divers.

Michael OK, OK, you talked me into it! Jeez! Anna's gonna pick it up for me at the libbery this afternoon. Gotta see what's got Bird's feathers ruffled here.