Heather's Reviews > Gregor the Overlander

Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins

Feb 28, 2009

bookshelves: teen-lit-and-i-love-it
Read in February, 2009

My sister, the librarian, is always telling me what to read and this was one of the those "you need to read it" books. I had just read Hunger Games by this author and loved it so thought, 'sure thing little sister.' Boy, I have a smart sister.

This book was a lot of fun. The plot was very original but still slightly Jules Verne-ish. The characters were fantastic. Gregor was such a great character. He loves his family and is brave but thinks he's not. He's smart but unsure of himself. He's normal. There were some funny parts and some sad parts and some great twists and turns. There was courage and fighting and bravery and cool stunts. I was so unprepared for the ending, but that made me like the book even more.

I think boy (including teens) will love this book. There is some reference to poop as in the little sister poops and announces it (hey, my 2-yr-old does that too) or people comment on the smell. Most boys will think that's hilarious. There are some strong girl/women characters as well so some girls might like it, but I think it would have to be a fantasy loving, action kind of girl.

I look forward to reading the rest of this series and it is one I will recommend to my boys when they're a bit older. Or maybe I'll read it out loud to them now....
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gregor the Overlander.