Davie's Reviews > If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor

If Chins Could Kill by Bruce Campbell

Mar 21, 09

bookshelves: finished
Read in April, 2009

After hearing Bruce kick all this @$$ on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, was reminded to put this on at the top of the to-reads.

Having been raised on the Evil Dead (culminating in my official designation by Bruce Campbell himself as the "#1 fan", in writing, on my VHS copy), I was excited to read those parts of the book, and Bruce didn't disappoint. Fake blood recipe, dentist investment cabal, and all.

What I wasn't expecting, and really enjoyed, were the origin stories about himself, his group of childhood friends, and the other humble film aspirants they met along the way (including the Raimi and Coen brothers). The amount of work they put in, their relentless curiosity about all stages of the process, their willingness to put themselves out there no matter how undignified the situation to keep learning, experimenting, and keeping one ear peeled to hear opportunity knocking -- it would have fit very nicely into "The 10,000 hour rule" chapter of Outliers.

That kind of spunk would have made me dig Bruce Campbell even if his good humor, wit, Evil Dead pedigree, and bite-sized chapter layout hadn't already done the job. Bruce, you had me at hello.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If Chins Could Kill.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Daniel Clausen Davie, for me too, the best parts of the book was where Campbell was describing the downs of his career. For example, working as a security guard after doing the evil dead movies, etc. Also the cold-calling stories about getting financing for the first Evil Dead were pretty amazing.