Punk's Reviews > Light Before Day

Aug 19, 2007

it was ok
bookshelves: queer
Read in February, 2006

Fiction. Yes, Christopher, son of Anne, but don't worry, he doesn't use the word preternatural once, and even gets some great lines in, like: "Around six, I thought about getting some dinner the way some people think about buying a vacation home." Unfortunately, as much as Christopher loves using two or three metaphors a paragraph, his success rate is really only fifty percent. Some aren't very good, some I couldn't even decipher, but he tries hard. This is nominally a mystery. Our main character, Adam, starts out as a journalist and a junkie. He gets fired, gets sober, gets a job working for a true crime writer, and tries to fight crime. I don't know if it's me or Christopher, but I couldn't quite get a handle on the mystery plot. At times I even forgot what it was we were trying to figure out. His ex-boyfriend is missing, there's a lot of dead people, and some sort of meth side thingy plot. This book has a lot of characters and they're all named Jimmy and Billy and Corey, and despite Adam's near constant summarizing each time he learns a new detail, I still was totally lost. It was kind of funny really, exactly how little the mystery engaged me, but I didn't exactly mind. I still figured out at least two of the twists before the main characters did.

Two stars. The writing is sort of amateurish and the plot's kind of fumbling, but in an endearing way?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Light Before Day.