Ava's Reviews > Jake's Regret

Jake's Regret by Shawn Lane

Mar 09, 09

bookshelves: m-m-erotic-romance
Recommended to Ava by: I love the author's work
Recommended for: Lovers of m/m erotic romance
Read in March, 2009

Jake and Damien were professional football players, Damien the quarterback and Jake his wide receiver. They won many games together and also had a hot, passionate love affair. One they kept hidden. But then Jake ended their relationship with a note on the night before he was to leave town, traded to a new team.

Eleven years later, Damien shows up at Jake's father furneral. Jake's father was a bigot, and Jake tried his whole life to be the son his father wanted, to the point of hiding his sexuality and breaking things off with Damien, the only man he ever loved. Now Damien, who came out once he quit football, is back and wants to rekindle their romance. The real question is however, is Jake ready to have an open relationship with Damien?

Jake is this big, muscular ex-football player. Totally gorgeous guy, but he's lived so long in the closet that he isn't aware of his sex appeal and he isn't sure if he can live his life as an openly gay man. His Alabama hometown doesn't welcome homosexuals with open arms, and Jake's afraid everyone will turn his back on him if he comes out. Unfortunately for Jake, his worries aren't completely unfounded.

I think what I loved most about this story was Jake and Damien's obvious love for each other. They were truly meant to be together, and I felt it from the moment the 2 met on the page. They were sweet and tender and really hot together! Damien is patient and strong. He understands why Jake is the way he is, and doesn't get really upset when Jake freaks when the 2 men are found together by a woman from Jake's hometown. Jake's a guy who is physically strong, but has never used his strength to defend himself. Even when a punk picks on him, he walks away. He's used to hiding, not standing up for himself. Yet, he stands up for Damien, the man he loves, when Jake's aunt shows herself as a racist.

And in the end, Jake found strength within himself when he really needed it. He went after what he needed. Damien didn't make it easy for him, nor should he after the way Jake bolted on him, but he is Damien and loves Jake. So of course, there is a wonderful HEA.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jake's Regret.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Daisiemae Wow, Ava:) Your review is Awesome:) I am saving this one for this weekend! I can't wait to read it!
We have done something right to have your book and Shawn's book released on the same WEEK...how lucky are we!!! :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review! It's in my TBR pile and I am looking forward to reading it!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Awwe, shucks, Ava, great review, :)

Drew Terrific review, Ava