Dan Schwent's Reviews > The Elephant Who Liked To Smash Small Cars

The Elephant Who Liked To Smash Small Cars by Jean Merrill

Feb 28, 2009

bookshelves: funny

A friend of mine recommended this to me, saying it was a little demented for a child's book. Boy, was he right!

The plot is as follows: An elephant likes to smash small cars(although in one instance, it looks like he's attempting to have sex with one.) He's a car wrecking machine. One day, a car dealership specializing in small cars opens in the neighborhood and an orgy of car smashing destruction ensues. The dealer, his business obviously ruined, starts stocking large cars, too big for the elephant to smash. He then proceeds to repeatedly run over the elephant for the sole purpose of teaching him a lesson...

My girlfriend at the time of my reading was a little weirded out by the book and asked me what lesson it was supposed to teach a young reader. I smirked and said "If you act like a jerk, someone is going to settle your hash sooner or later." She wasn't amused.

I wish my mom would have read this to me when I was a youngling. Funny stuff, even for adults.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Elephant Who Liked To Smash Small Cars.

04/03/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Ha, funny review! Never even heard of this but my boys and I love to read. Any guess as to which age group?

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent Beginning readers could probably handle it. None of the words are very big.

message 3: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Thanks! I'll keep my eyes open.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Where were books like these when I was having to subdue my gag reflex as the school librarian tortured us during read-alouds with trite, sentimental crap like The Giving Tree and I Love You Forever?

message 5: by Stacey (new)

Stacey cackling out loud! I love it!

message 6: by karen (new)

karen i want this, even though i initially misread it as "cats", which i prefer... poor cats...

message 7: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Schwent karen wrote: "i want this, even though i initially misread it as "cats", which i prefer... poor cats..."

It's surprisingly hard to find. I guess people have a problem with kids' books about elephants smashing stuff. My friend that loaned it to me works in a library and abused the system to get it.

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy If you like this, you might look for Ugly Fish http://www.powells.com/biblio/61-9780... which could also be summarized by saying, to quote Dan, "If you act like a jerk, someone is going to settle your hash sooner or later."

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu I love the title, its one of those that makes people want to read it.

message 10: by mark (new)

mark monday bizarro for kids!

Iluvnamie! I was also weirded out-- however, thanks to reading Kathryn's review I realised it reaches self control! Good lesson for the child. Really good book - simple and fun - my boy enjoyed it.