Ikonopeiston's Reviews > Crown Of Roses

Mar 03, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: ricardian
Read in March, 2009

This book is a creation of bald story-telling. There is little to no investigation of the reasons behind actions and important events are presented as simple facts without elaboration. We are told what happened but the connections which make a novel flow are not there.

I found the use of nick-names for various personages irritatingly similar to the uncouth habits of George W. Bush, of unlamented memory. Also the atmosphere of the period was thread-bare in many places and I kept falling out of the story because of these jolting lacunae.

The author does have some unconventional interpretations of certain historical characters, notably Elizabeth Woodville, and tries for a cunning plot twist. The latter does not quite come off because the surprise is obvious to the dullest intellect. Bah!

My principal complaint with this book is too much chick-lit, not enough Richard. I do not like chick-lit.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crown Of Roses.

03/01/2009 page 258 "Not enough Richard"
03/02/2009 page 483 "trying to slow down"

message 1: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Are you reading this one soon? I really enjoy Anand's books but I've seen mixed reviews on this particular one.

Ikonopeiston Yes, I just got it today from a vendor. I do not know the author and I, too, have seen the mixed reviews but I was hungry for some fresh Ricardian reading. I have another book on order from yet another vendor. (Not Anand - I just re-read that last sentence and realised it was completely confusing.)

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Well, now I know not to bother.