Melanie's Reviews > The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol. 1: 1931-1934

The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol. 1 by Anaïs Nin

Feb 28, 2009

i like these much more than her novels. a beautiful woman. i love her notes about dreams. and one of my favorite quotes: "Anxiety is a woman screaming without a voice," paraphrased because my memory is terrible. ok i'm just going to list some quotes: "But this woman, who could undress at the request of any man, make love with anyone, go to orgies, act as a call girl in a professional house, this Beth told me she found it actually difficult to talk about sex!"
"Far below a rather pale nature, a subdued tropical life, lay a scenery of dreams, a dream born out of continuity impossible to an artist.
"(...) A dream from which all violence was absent.
"Here lay a dream entombed."
"The softer the velvet box, the deeper the rugs, the warmer the rooms, the greater the abundance of food, the more I miss what I have lost, the lonelier I feel."

...I haven't read this in years. I'm skimming through my used, worn copy now to see what I (and the previous owner) underlined. I forgot what it meant to me. Recommended for any woman who feels too deeply for her own good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of Anaïs Nin, Vol. 1.