Justin's Reviews > Welcome to the Monkey House

Welcome to the Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut

M_50x66
Aug 23, 07

bookshelves: favorites

I heard once from an old English teacher that the hardest pieces to write are short stories and short films. To develop a plot and characters in a short and constricted time frame requires no small amount of skill. There's no room to waste words and phrases; to do so would turn your short story into a novella. Poe was great at it. And I feel Vonnegut was great at it too.

Welcome to the Monkey House has been a favorite book of mine for a long time. I may have inadvertently acquired this copy from an old girlfriend; in which case I would have to apologize to her for my theft. But I'm calling grandfather clause, and there's no way I'd give it back.

Some of these stories are fairly well known. "Harrison Bergeron," for example, is a story that gets taught in school occasionally. And it's a great short story; a better defense of individualism than any drivel Ayn Rand ever spewed out.

"Who Am I This Time?," "Thomas Edison's Shaggy Dog," "Welcome to the Monkey House," and "All the King's Horses" are fantastic stories as well. I picked this collection up again earlier this morning, and have already devoured the first four stories. I wouldn't be surprised if I finish another one or two before I leave for work in an hour.

So in case it was not already abundantly clear; I really like this book. And I tend to think other people will as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Welcome to the Monkey House.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jay (last edited Aug 23, 2007 11:06PM) (new)

Jay Mmmmm... nothing like devouring some Vonnegut prose. Personally, I like it served cold with a few beers and a nice cigar. Or sometimes I'll enjoy a bottle of red with Kurt, I admit. Or on those lazy afternoons before a night shift at work, I'll sit on my front porch with Kurt and a tall glass of iced tea. How appropriate! You know what's required then, yes?

You look to your wife or kid or neighbor or mailman or whoever--and proclaim, "If this isn't nice, then what is?"