Rebecca's Reviews > Started Early, Took My Dog

Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson

F 50x66
Dec 14, 12

I had a hard time deciding how to rate this book. I decided on three stars as I did have a difficult time getting into the rhythm of the book. At first it seemed very staccato like as the sentences were short with a lot of one or two word phrases. I got over it and moved on.

This seems to be a mish mash of characters and story lines ( the "story within a story") but everything comes together. Everything stems from Tracy Waterhouse, retired cop, who buys a kid. Yes, she buys a kid. Which gets Tracy thinking of a murder over 20 years ago and what happened to a child who was found at the scene. Then you have Jackson Brodie looking for an adopted woman's biological family. There the story takes off.

Jackson Brodie runs into difficulty trying to find this woman's family as she seems to have appeared out of nowhere. Tracy and Jackson's paths intersect along with a lot of other characters and the mystery of the woman's parentage unfolds. Could it be connected to the murder 20 years ago?

I really liked Tracy and wanted to know more about her and what happens to her and the kid. I was surprised to find out out that this is a series with Jackson Brodie as I preferred Tracy's character. So I don't think I will read another Jackson Brodie but if there's a series about Tracy Waterhouse I'm in.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Started Early, Took My Dog.